Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Front Page

I wish I were the editor of the Albuquerque Journal. Just for a day. Today there were three stories on the front page that belonged elsewhere not because they were not important but because of the news that was relegated to the back pages. The Journal's continuing stories on Manny Aragon, Robert Vigil and Eric Serna, all Hispanic Democrats, might be newsworthy. But the continued violence in the middle east and Iraq should, in my opinion, be front page stuff these days because of their long lasting effects on our country. Fifty people being killed in Iraq in a single day is important. The civil war that has been predicted by everyone except bush, rumsfeld and cheney, is underway and the ramifications are profound.

I had coffee this morning with a long time friend who is an immigrant and naturalized citizen. He has been a great public servant and I respect him a lot. He said, "This country is at a low point and our stature is getting worse every day in the eyes of the world. I would consider returning to Europe if I didn't have family here."

I was suprised to hear this and saddened. I know he loves this country but his frustration is understandable. He can not understand why more people are not outraged and protesting in the streets over this war in Iraq. He is really concerned that students have 'checked out' on dissent.

This is where our media comes into play. Maybe the war, since it is four years old, doesn't sell many ads, but I strongly believe this international news belongs on the front page of the Albuquerque Journal and not just the New York Times. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford subscriptions to both papers, but not many can. The NYT costs me $48 a month!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

James,
If I were you campaign manager I would tell you to turn the lights out on the blog until November.
Expressing yourself on a daily basis is bad for message and gives your opposition more oppurtunities to mix your words.

Anonymous said...

Just what we need! Another politician who doesn't honestly express himself. Keep being honest Jim Baca and you will sleep well at night.

Anonymous said...

I strongly agree with your point. I still subscribe to the Journal just to keep an eye on how they're skewing things, but most of my friends have cancelled their subscriptions. The placement of stories and the emphasis on what often turn out to be nonstories if you read the entire article really are telling.

You're right - most Americans aren't getting the real news about the most important issues. They're getting Republican spin on the radio, in many newspapers and on cable TV day and night.

Anonymous said...

I am Jim Baca's campaign manager and I am quite proud of the fact that, even though the land commmssioner race in NM does not have an Iraq War element per se, Jim uses his public "pulpit" to state that he is against this "war of choice" that continues to drag the US down in many ways every day and that he is not afraid to say it even though he is running for elective office.

Clearly, he is "on message" in my mind re: this topic of interest in NM and the US and he is constant in his message that he will protect and preserve NM's state-owned natural resources and archeological sites while ensuring that the education system in the state remains well funded, viable, and growing.

Rather than "going dark", I feel this website is a bright spot on the political landscape in this election cycle. Others seem to agree as we travel around the state.