Monday, September 03, 2007

City Council Races

As a former Mayor I probably take more interest in the city council races than most folks. Those races are pretty boring for the most part and yet from a standpoint of the city's future they are pretty important.

I live in Councilor Debbie O'Malley's district and I will be voting for her again. Her opponent came to my door not long ago seeking signatures for her nominating petition and I signed one just because I like to see people get on the ballot. I found later she works for real estate developers and regretted signing that form, although she seemed like a nice enough person. I just don't think we need to have a Mayor who is a tool of developers, (Chavez) and a council who is controlled by developers. As it turns out the developers have three ringers in the city council races and that isn't good.

At the same time I don't want to see councilors be completely anti development. I would like to see them pursue good planned community type projects that will keep as much development close in to the city as possible. It doesn't make sense chasing it all out to Sandoval and Valencia counties because of the commuting problems.

No comments: