Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Sister Carlota in Bhutan

This is a note I got from my sister in Bhutan. She is there on a 3 week trek. This is funny.

Dear Loved Ones,

Camping in the Himalayas is not for sissies!

When I had to go pee in the middle of the night, the zipper on my tent was frozen shut, but I finally got out. I ran to the latrine with my flashlight and saw a huge dark thing blocking my way. It was a sleeping yak! I didn't make it to the latrine...

I was in a temple yesterday for a festival and observed about 60 nine-year old monks in training. The adult monks allowed the 4 of us to lean against the wall and watch. One of the teachers walked by me and whispered, "You United States?" I nodded "yes". He then pulled aside his monk robe near his neck and on his tunic underneath, there was an "Obama '08" button!

I'll never think of mountains in the same way again. Our little Rockies are like wee pimples compared to these astounding heights.

This is one of the best trips I've ever had.

Love,
Lota

No comments: