Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Celia's

I will admit I watch the Food Network on occasion. I even try fixing some of their recipes! Yum!

They recently did a story on their "Diners Drive-ins and Dives" show that featured Celia's New Mexican Food at 6th and Silver in Downtown Albuquerque. (Owned and operated by Celia Baca.) I went there this mid morning for Huevos Rancheros(RED). It was excellent as always. I pop in there every week or so and have been doing so for some time.

Today a family of 8 came in to eat. The patriarch announced they had come all the way from Texas to eat there. I felt like saying..."this isn't TexMex crap...prepare yourselves." But I didn't. Actually, this is the second time I have seen this happen. A few weeks ago a guy about my age was sitting there and he heard someone call me Mr. Baca. He came over to introduce himself and he was also a Baca from the Santa Fe area. He has lived for the last 30 years in Georgia and he comes back with his wife to visit every summer. He also had seen the show and wanted to try Celia's great food.

We got to talking and it turns out he has been working on an incredible family tree that includes my family. He sent back his research to me when he returned to Georgia. It is incredible work!

2 comments:

Rez said...

Thanks Jim! Cecilias is a favorite. Check out http://nmgastronome.com for an excellent roundup of reviews for NM food across Albuq and across NM!

BR

Karen Fayeth said...

Dang that Food Network! First Anthony Bourdain and now this!

They've outed us! Quick, hide the good stuff! Serve the ketchup flavored red sauce, lest they all want to move to NM!

:) Juuust kidding!