Thursday, September 16, 2010

School Board Member

I don't think I have ever written about an Albuquerque school board member before.  After reading this morning's Journal in which one member, David Robbins, makes the assertion that the HIV virus can pass through pores in a condom I gotta say it is him versus science. I guess his advice is don't use condoms and don't let Doctors and patients discuss reality.  His campaign website also said he favored vouchers.    He doesn't want birth control advice given in school clinics so he comes up with something that is supposed to scare people so much that there is no support for such advice in the schools.  He doesn't care if girls get pregnant because of ignorance I guess.

I think a parent has a right to decide if an adolescent gets advice like this in their school.  If they want to stick their head in the sand and prohibit it, then their kids will suffer for it.  Get real.  Does anyone of these types of folks remember High School?  Pretty much one thing is on every teenager's mind.  And yet this school board member, in charge of education policy, is wrong on science and human nature.  Damn!  I hate it when that happens.

On another issue, is it my imagination or has the Albuquerque Journal pretty much glossed over the huge special interest donations to Susana Martinez's campaign?

No comments: