Friday, December 31, 2010

Bigger than Life

We are heading off to see our new grandchild over the New Years weekend.  Our well armed house sitter has some new buckshot shells I purchased. But, before I say goodbye to this year, which went awfully fast, I thought I would comment on our Bigger Than Life Governor of the last eight years.  Bill Richardson.

I think he could go down as one of our best Governor's ever.  I liked the way he thought big and actually followed through on promises.  He got the DWI numbers down dramatically.  He built an incredible rail service between Belen and Santa Fe.  The Land of Enchantment is the go to place for film makers now.  New Mexico has a great commercial Space Port growing in the southern part of the state.  He was a stalwart protector of New Mexico's landscapes, watersheds, and air quality.  And generally he has always done the right thing for New Mexicans.

Yes, I worked as the New Mexico Natural Resource Trustee for Richardson.  He was always supportive of the Trustee's work and put the interests of the state's people first.  I was proud to have been part of his administration.

He will always have his detractors in these days of pure partisan politics and right wing media.  It is too bad that media gets to write some of the history, but that is the breaks.  In the meantime I want to thank him for his service and wish him the best in his efforts at forming a "Peace Institute" in Santa Fe.

1 comment:

New Mexican said...

I agree with the assessment. I wish him good luck in the future.