Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Misc.

Governor 'oh Susana' has ordered the police to check immigration status for people accused of breaking the law.  So, if a woman is stopped for violating a traffic law, does that mean she will be deported away from her children who were born here in New Mexico?  I want some reporter to ask that question of her.  Does she see that as a good solution to our immigration problems?  Breaking up families?  Just put your efforts elsewhere Governor.

 Is this more important than creating jobs?  Why make a big deal out of this when there are so many other important issues to address?  I will tell you why.  It is because the new administration is at sea with no rudder.

I keep hearing that many state agencies still have not heard from the Governor's office on policy and direction.  I wonder exactly what was going on during the transition and the first part of January.  I have always felt that transitions mirror the management style of a governor and I think what we are seeing is a style of government where playing catch up is the form we can expect.

Today in the New York Times the oil and gas industry said they are subsidizing the government and not the other way around.  They said royalties subsidize the Feds.  Remember, a royalty is a payment for taxpayer owned oil under federal lands.  But they want it for free while suffering windfall profits and causing suffering on a global scale. These guys are unbelievable.

The republican house legislators (the oil and gas industry) walked out of a House Energy Committee yesterday because they didn't like what they were hearing in a general information session called by Chairman Brian Egolf.  They said the testimony was inappropriate.  I guess because it contradicted their positions.  This shouldn't surprise anyone since the oil and gas industry never listens to peoples concerns anyway.  It is the stuff of two year olds and despots.  It kind of reminds me of what is happening in Egypt where a million people are in the streets telling Mubarak to go and he puts his hands over his ears.

Update:  My sister just gave me hell for using the term 'oh Susana' when referring to our new female governor.  She thinks it is disrespectful of women.  So, in order to keep her happy I will no longer use the term.  I wonder where this leaves us with the nick names for Dave Cargo, known as Lonesome Dave, or Bill Richardson, known as Big Bill, or Gary Johnson, known as Governor No.

2 comments:

janecraft said...

Your sister makes me smile. Thank you.

Donald F. Schiff said...

I have to disagree with your sister. "Oh Susana" is disrespectful to the Governor, which that heartless liar richly deserves. I don't see how it disrespects women generally.