Sunday, September 06, 2015

A Public Servant

A decent man named Belarmino Giron died late last week in Pojoaque, NM.  He is one of the best and brightest public servants I ever knew.  His honesty was legend and his advice to the people he worked with was unrivaled.  He always had the back of the citizen taxpayer.  He had a knack for convincing the elected officials who he worked for to do the right thing.  I know he certainly did a lot rescues for me as I worked at reforming New Mexico's Liquor Laws back in the early 1980s.  After I was elected Land Commissioner he was my one of my first appointments.  With his wise counsel we raised oil and gas royalties, grazing fees, and pursued planned development on state trust lands.

All too often we just hear about public servants who get in trouble.  Rarely do we hear of honest and hard working men like Belarmino, whose only interest was a better life for New Mexicans.

No comments: