Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Bitter Lakes Refuge

Yates Petroleum has announcedplans to drill two exploratory wells inside the Bitter Lakes National Wildlife Refuge in Southern New Mexico. The leases are State Land Office mineral leases which underly land that was traded to help establish the Refuge years ago. I vaguely remember dealing with this issue before I took office in my first term as land commissioner in 1983. There were plans to drill it then too, but there were such protests that it wasn't done. I can't figure out why those leases haven't lapsed and why they might have been reissued in such an important place. I have called on current Commissioner Pat Lyons to stop this and start negotiating a solution. Yates is one of his biggest campaign supporters and the owner of leases that were issued for the right to drill in Otero Mesa. The Otero Mesa leases were issued by my opponent in the primary election, Ray Powell. I hope everyone will take a moment to write the land office and tell this this drilling is not a good thing to do.

No comments: