Monday, March 27, 2006

Retirement Guy


This nice guy is Vince Jaramillo with member services of the Public Employees Retirement Association in Santa Fe. I needed to stop and see him today prior to some political meetings in the Capitol City. Vince told me that there are now close to 23,000 retirees on the PERA system who are receiving pension checks. I will be one of them as I will get my first check in a few days.

The PERA system, which covers state, city, county and other local government entities in the state is truly one of the best systems in the United States. Furthermore, it is very solvent and not in trouble. It is to bad the Educational Retirement System is not as well funded or generous to our state's school teachers. I could never figure out why their system is so much weaker. It just doesn't seem right and it is something that has to be fixed. Maybe I can help with that if I am elected.

Vince let me know what my final retirement payments would be, less taxes and health insurance. Since I am sixty and have twenty years of service I was eligible to retire. It will be a nice check every month, but just part of my retirement plan.

No comments: