Friday, December 01, 2006

Board Meetings

It is not like I haven't anything to do since the election. There is a lot of domestic stuff to catch up on and I am still busy with Board Meetings. I need to run up to Salt Lake City at noon for a meeting of the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance and then on Monday over to Tucson for a meeting of the Wyss Foundation Board. These meetings are intense and fun and they will be especially interesting in light of the upcoming lame duck congressional session and a change of power following in January.

The issues we work with on these Boards won't get necessarily easier to work through congress, but at least the new committee chairs will listen to us. Over the past six years all we have had to rely on was court rulings to delay destructive bush policies. Now, we might even get some land protection bills passed a couple of years from now.

I have the sinking feeling that all the work we do on Wilderness and other land protection won't mean anything in 20 years if we don't get serious about climate change. I am going to devote more of my time to that issue over the next couple of years.

No comments: