Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Land Office and Cattle Farts

The State Land Office is barging ahead with its plans to deforest 100 square miles of Pinon Juniper Forest in Torrance County. The wood will be used for fuel for a powerplant and a by-product will be cleared land for more cattle grazing. There have been no scientific studies to support the wisdom of this project.

Fast forward to a report put out by the Livestock, Environment and Development Initiative, an effort funded in part by the World Bank. Read the report's executive summary here. It turns out that livestock production accounts for more greenhouse gas emmissions than the transportation sector. Cattle Farts are warming up the planet.

Yes, there is nothing I like better than my once a week Sirloin Tip steak(from Costco--the best in town), but some of the statistics in this report are truly staggering. It really brings into doubt the wisdom of burning trees, which scrub green house gases from the atmosphere to make more grazing land available for fart generation.

2 comments:

Cats r Flyfishn said...

Sad but it's true. Cattle does put an extraordinary strain on the environment. And I enjoy my meat so I try to buy from local butchers whenever possible. I think the small farms are less stressful to the environment. All the burger and roast beef fast food chains have increased the demand for beef. When I was a small child, we could only buy our meat from the local butchers. Then along came the supermarkets which put the small farmer and rancher out of business.
This tax would be too bad if it only effected ranchers with more than a certain number of cattle.

Cats r Flyfishn said...

BTW - I supported Bill Richardson for President. I still think he is the most knowlegable.