Friday, December 16, 2005

Train Rides

The Albuquerque Journal had a really great front page story on the plight of some of our Amtrak train stations. I am hopeful this story will light a fire under the Mayor and the Congressional Delegation to work with Amtrak to utilize some part of the new transportation complex in Downtown. That was on track when I was Mayor and I am surprised it has fallen apart.

This is an old photo I carry around in my wallet. It shows mom, dad, my sister Carlota and twin brother Tom in the early 1950's waiting at the train station here to start one of our train rides. I am not sure if this photo is in Albuquerque or Belen. My mother Dixie was from Washington, DC. She met my dad Fermin there after he traveled to the nation's capitol with other young men to get their education and jobs under the tutelage of Senator Dennis Chavez. Consequently, after my mom and dad moved back to Albuquerque we would take the Santa Fe Super Chief back to DC to visit her parents. I remember these trips well and the magnificent train stations we would pass through.

Let's see if some leadership can be exerted here to show that Albuquerque wants to have a train depot that shows we care about the railroads contribution to the history of our city. I would suggest a sweetheart deal with Amtrak, who is truly broke. If nothing else it would be useful not to embarrass our city by having the train depot in a former storage shack.

No comments: