Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Wilderness

I see where the lady who was trapped in the Gila Wilderness for five weeks said she wasn't really sure that she wanted to be rescued. If she needed to be alone like that again I could have recommended to her that she go to my polling place in Albuquerque's School board election today. I was the first person to sign the roster page that my name was on at about 9:30 this morning. Normally, in most elections, that page in my precinct would have been 20% filled by that time. I have never understood why school bond and board elections are so poorly attended by voters. Even if just the parents of all the students voted it would be a staggering turnout. As it is, these elections are decided by primarily the school employees and teachers.

I voted for continuing the mill levy for the schools, although from things I hear I worry that the APS bureaucracy often is overwhelmed when trying to manage the construction and maintenance programs this money makes available. I also am informed that the biggest problem is employees that don't do their work but wont be fired because of the fear of lawsuits.

3 comments:

NB said...

I think the voting would do much better if it occurred at the same time as November elections.
I also believe that there needs to be better accountability from the principals in ensuring performance management of their staff. The same could be said of APS managers doing the same with principals.
If goals and job descriptions are clear and measurements are fair, consistent, and documented, there shouldn't be a fear of litigation.
The "bad seed" or ineffective educators/administrators would be gone and the morale of everyone would be lifted.
This isn't a popularity contest; it's a career for which each individual should be held to the standards.
I'm hoping the turn-out will be significant and folks are just waiting until after they get off work.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Natalie. If the school bond and board elections were held with general elections, it would be much better.

Also, wouldn't the city save money by rolling these into the general elections?

LP said...

I might be wrong, but I believe I heard that it was illegal to hold the mill levy at the same time as a general election.

But don't take that to the bank, it might have just been some totally off the wall, wrong idea that I had in the back of my head.