Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Double Standards

I am somewhat of a great believer in double standards. For example, I owned a motorcycle when my kids were young. I really liked it and I didn't get killed. So, upon our arrival back in the States from our trip I was informed by my daughter Noelle in Phoenix that, 1. She took motorcycle driving lessons, 2. She bought a motorcycle, 3. She is dating a guy(a Mechanical Engineer) she met in motorcycle class who is 7 years older than her.

Here is my double standard at work. I don't want her on a motorcycle even though I had one, and I am not so sure about this dating an older guy, although I am seven years older than my beautiful wife Bobbi.

What is a parent to do? I just had lunch with a good friend whose daughter will be starting medical school in the fall. Right now she is touring South America by bus. She just emailed him that they can't get into La Paz, Bolivia because the roads are blocked. She didn't say why they were blocked so you can imagine what is going through his mind.

Kids may get emancipated but parents never do.

1 comment:

LP said...

I'm very wary of motorcycles -- even moreso since my friend was recently involved in a serious motorcycle accident. He still wants to ride motorcycles once he recovers, but that won't be for at least a year.