Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Weekend

This will be a fun weekend for us. We are just going to putter around the yard and get it in shape for outside dining. As the weather gets warm I like to start the day with coffee in the back yard and then try to eat dinner out there every evening. We have a really nice shaded back yard and even on the hottest of summer days it is pleasant. We are going to friends for dinner on Sunday and will go to a movie sometime today or tomorrow.

My little friend from last year is back. I assume the same Hummingbird has taken us residence in last year's nest that sits right over our hot tub. He was scoping me out pretty good this morning. But, every time he sees me with my camera he bugs out. He or she built up the nest pretty nicely.

Behind all of this nice weekend in front of us however, I have a sense of rage over the continuing killing in Iraq. bush tells us that we should expect serious casualties over the summer as his 'surge' continues. Will he remember those who died for his folly next Memorial Day? I seriously doubt it since, to my knowledge, he has never been to a slain soldiers funeral yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I agree with your outrage over the continued deaths in Iraq. I visited your site now to see if you had commented on this as I just finished reading some articles on those myself and feeling like there is nothing we can do to stop this maniac and his ego trip.

I hope we all take time this weekend to remember and memorialize those that died way too young for God knows what.

Charlie in Taos

NB said...

I went to the BOE meeting Wednesday and was completely overwhelmed by the presentation made for the families of APS graduates who have been killed in this senseless war. It was a none-too-subtle reminder that real people are losing their lives... and families are affected... as we are all affected...
It was really lovely of APS to do this ceremony. There wasn't a dry eye in the house.
I wonder what it will take for all of the outraged citizens to be able to stand and say, "Enough; Bring 'em home, or else!"
Enjoy your weekend.