Friday, December 19, 2008

Rail Runner and Road Tax

I think one thing that will happen when people think about the Rail Runner is that they will always remember that Governor Richardson built it. I talked to two more folks yesterday who used it to go to Santa Fe and they were thrilled. Except there is not near enough parking at the stations. We could all see that coming.

People still remember that I sweated as Mayor over getting the new baseball stadium built. After I left office Marty Chavez put his name on the plaque in front of the stadium. It is the one thing I resent about him. Isotopes Park is making money for the city instead of being a black hole.

The other thing I worked hard for was the Transportation tax that has done a lot of good for the city's infrastructure. It has enabled the rebuilding of our streets and the expansion of the bus system. It benefits the older parts of town over sprawl development. We went to the public on a vote for that tax. It won by 700 votes after a blistering attack by republican city councilors. The ten year tax, which brings in 35 million dollars a year is due to expire and now some current city councilors want to extend it for six months without a vote. I say go for it and then put it to a vote at the next municipal election. I can't understand why this deadline has crept up on the administration like this.

It is really important that the Council and city auditor make sure that money is being used for intended purposes. I have suspected that it has been raided in the past for other purposes.

No comments: