Tuesday, October 12, 2010

RIP


I have started taking a night time photo class at UNM Continuing Education.  I never really mastered it before nor spent much time thinking about how to do it properly.  This photo is my first try at taking a serious photo in the dark.  It is the San Jose Cemetery at Gibson and I-25.  It is actually owned by the City of Albuquerque.  I rendered it in black and white since the sodium lights from the  interstate gave everything an orange hue.(Click the photo for a full size look)

Many of the folks who are interned here helped build this city and its culture.  In today's society we seem to be sending a message that we don't want their kind anymore.  These are mostly the immigrants and their offspring who built our homes, paved our roads, constructed our schools and places of business.  They joined the military and veterans are buried here I am sure.  Now unfounded fear from demagogues on the right wing make them into villains. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's quite a photograph. The extraordinary depth of field really gives it it's effect.. but I can't quite describe what it is. It's so unusual. It's not surreal, it's not eerie, and it's not exactly realistic, but it's something like all those.

Peter St. Cyr said...

I drove by the cemetery on my way to the airport and remembered you posting this photo. It was nice to read your post and make looking at the spot a treat every time I head to the Sunport now.