Monday, March 28, 2011

Misc.

I read in the Journal today that City Councillor Brad Winter, an employee of the public school system, is unhappy with the lobbyist the city uses in Washington, DC to bring home the gravy.  John O'Donnell has been there for a long time and I always thought he was pretty good at what he does.  So have most of the Mayors.  He served during my term as Mayor.   What does this  have to do with Winters being a school employee?  Well, as far as I can tell his employers have kept on their lobbyists in Santa Fe for an awful long time too.  Maybe he should start throwing stones there.  APS has been represented by former city councillor and county commissioner Alan Armijo and attorney Art Melendrez.   Except for the fact that the APS lobbyists are pretty good also.

I see where the Albuquerque Journal has now opined that maybe the Governor ought to reconsider her problematical appointment of City Public Safety Chief Darren White to the Judicial Standards Commission.  It will be interesting to see if she ignores everyone's warnings on this appointment.  Will she have the courage to say, "it appears this may not be a good fit."  If she doesn't then, once again, Mayor Berry should exercise his authority over White and ask him to turn down the offer.

Paul Krugman of the New York Times did a great column today on my colleague Bill Cronon.  I wrote about him on my Saturday Blog.

I am in a losing battle with pollen.  My eyes, throat, chest feel like they have been worked over by a hammer.  I was up for two hours last night.  Enchantment takes a vacation from New Mexico every spring to get away from the Juniper pollen.

No comments: