Monday, April 04, 2011

Politics and Our Little Girl

Martin Heinrich did announce for the US Senate.  He probably wont have any serious opposition in the democratic primary and that is good.  More of the intrigue in politics in the elections 18 months from now will concern how big the coattails will be from the President's reelection campaign. I think he will surely win the race but how big remains to be seen.

Secondly, who will replace Martin in his house seat?  Right now the pickings are poor for the democrats.  I don't think Eric Griego or Moe Maestas have the legs to win a general election.  Although they are good men and would make good congressmen they are as lefty as me and not in vogue for the foreseeable future.  Who else could run and win?  Those folks will be oozing out of the woodwork soon.  Here are some folks who I hope would consider it.  Lawrence Rael would be a moderate hispanic candidate that could win it.  County Commissioner Maggie Hart Stebbins could make a run.  Senator Tim Keller from the north east heights might be a good pick.  There are more out there I am sure but I can't think of them right now.  I just want to make sure we don't get a nutcase tea party type into the congress for this district.  We also don't need any fundamentalists religious folks either.


Now, concerning our little girl.  She called us last night to announce that her beau, Luke Currell, has asked for her hand in marriage.  You don't get many calls like that in a life time.


There is a great commercial on TV where a dad is giving his daughter some keys to take the car out.  He sees her as a little five year old girl sitting in drivers seat.  That is kind of how I still see Noelle.  These are a couple of pictures of her that I snapped when she was four years old and six years old.

The funny thing is that Luke had called me three weeks ago to see if it would be okay with me if he popped the question!  I said sure!  But he wanted to wait until July 4th during our family reunion here.   I told him I couldn't keep a secret that long.  My wife Bobbi wrote him a note saying to speed it up or I would spill the beans.  His mother, Sue Orth of Minneapolis, MN did the same.  So last night he asked her and we will be really happy and proud to have him as a son in law.

Noelle is a financial whiz for Intel and Luke is a geologist.  They are living in Fort Collins, Colorado where they hike, bike, and live an active life style.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Congratulations to you and Bobbi on the announcement of your daughter and Luke's engagement. I know you are on proud Papa!

Karen said...

Wonderful news! Congratulations to your whole family!