Monday, October 01, 2012

Unlikely

The meltdown of the American team in the Ryder Cup golf matches yesterday should be seen as a metaphor.  It proves even the unlikely can happen if focus is blurred.  After coming into Sunday's individual matches with a 10-6 lead the Americans lost big time on the final day.  The Europeans retained the cup for another two  years.

All I could keep thinking about as I saw this unfolding was, "All right democrats, your in good shape right now for November, don't emulate these guys.  Don't blow it.  Concentrate and focus!"

My friend Rodger Beimer was at the event and he texted that the problem was that Europe sends their young, lean and hungry jocks while America relies on the older guys. I think he is right.  This is athletics where youth and bravado count a lot.  Even if experience is lacking.

If you think about it, that is what is happening in many political races.  I would argue Obama is part of the young crowd, just like Martin Heinrich and Michelle Lujan Grisham.  They are energetic and smart and are easily outclassing their GOP opponents.   Now, they just need to keep their focus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with that. A low turnout could put the election in the ragne in which it can be stolen. The Republicans have disenfranchised hundreds of thousands of voters for this election.

So I'll be working on turnout, which for me means I'll turn out and vote. I'll be focused on that like a laser beam, if not, as has happened once or twice, the election will be over before I vote and my vote isn't even counted. I can't even cast my vote.

I'm so focused on that that I am not going to even mention that all three candidates you mention are campaigning with fuzzy, happy sounding language that doesn't tie them down to anything, and that we need to fill that in for them after the election.