Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Ditch Riding



As I was contemplating on my walk this morning on how a President of the United States could possibly get himself into a situation of insulting a war widow, I realized it was better to take a picture of why I love living in the Valley so much.  It is nice to know that gravity still works and water still flows downhill.  This at least is something that the great cheeto hasn't attempted to call fake news.

This little lateral in the Thomas Villiage area is typical of the many serene ditch routes throughout the valley areas of Bernalillo County, where most of the money comes from to run the Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District.  It is another way we city slickers subsidize the agricultural sector in the four County District.  To me, it is worth the cost.

I was the General Manager of the District for a short time in the early 90's.  My grandfather Delfin was a long time Supervisor in the Cochiti District headquartered in Pena Blanca.  

2 comments:

Larry Gordon said...

Brings back fond memories of my early years in the North Valley.

Anonymous said...

I love the ditches. There's lore about them. A grieving lover in a long white dress who frightens bad children. They're community spaces. I live in the South Valley on San Ygnacio and jog along Beckman Lateral. In a sense you're taking a shortcut through everybody's back yard. There are dogs now and then. Down by Blake one Saturday morning I was surrounded by three big ones. I had to quickly explain that I was the boss of them and enough of them were at a loss for how to respond that I made my escape. It wasn't funny.