Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hamsters, Pandas and Iglesias

The Albuquerque Journal has stories today on Hamsters and Pandas. Apparently is it now illegal to race Hamsters in Albuquerque. We are all safer, right? And the Mayor, who will never miss a chance to be identified with a warm and cuddly critter is taking his upteenth trip to China to talk about a Panda for the zoo. Panda diplomacy is as good a reason as any I guess.

The New York Times has an OP-ED by David Iglesias that pretty much regurgitates his testimony on Capitol Hill a couple of weeks ago. It is a national shot at Heather Wilson and Pete Domenici. This whole thing is turning into a nightmare for bush and company. David Igelsias is certainly getting in his licks and I have to admire him because I have been in his shoes. When I left the Interior Department as Director of the BLM I stayed pretty much quiet about the affair although I did take some shots at Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt for being a wimp in dealing with the U.S. Senate on Public Land Reform.

The real thing of interest to me in this current U.S. Attorney thing is how Iglesias is doing emotionally. I can tell you it is not easy to be in his position. He is feeling hurt, betrayed, and highly retaliatory against people he considered allies. I feel bad for him personally and for his and his family's future. Where does he turn to for a job now that his has taken on the White House and the right wing conservatives who handed him his head?

These are things he has to deal with in the real world. Can he get a job with a big law firm? Doubtful. Can he find another career? Maybe. It seems to me that he has only a couple of easy options. One is to run for office and the other is to form a non profit entity to push for ethics in the Justice department! I am serious about this.

I respect him for his courage in shooting back at his attackers. I could never support him for a public office because of his ultra conservative and religious approach to government. I would send his non profit watchdog agency some money though.

No comments: