Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bosque Redondo & Atomic Museum

Lee and I completed our swing through Roswell, Portales and Clovis today. On the way back to Albuquerque we took the chance to visit the State's new Bosque Redondo Memorial. I would suggest you all stop there if you are in the area of Fort Sumner. It is just about three miles from there and well worth the side trip. This memorial is dedicated to the Navajo and Mescaleros that were forced into a camp there by the United States Government. This was happening about the same time Lincoln was freeing the slaves. It is a place that evokes many emotions. Many of the internees died of starvation and disease. Read more about it here.



The staff of the Memorial, which is run by the Department of Cultural Affairs, was really nice. This is Grace Roybal and Paul Fishell. They were overjoyed with the support the Governor gave to the Memorial this year in the legislature and asked me to thank him, which I will do the next time I see him. The exhibits are still pretty basic, but the potential here is great. The staff says there are a lot of school groups going there. That is really good.

On another note, I am sad to see the Balloon Museum in Albuquerque is not doing so well, but I can't say I am surprized. When I served as Mayor I had always felt it couldn't make it on its own there and was trying to get the Atomic Museum to relocate there and perhaps even share the facility. It still might be a good idea although, I hear the Atomic Museum is now moving up to a building on Eubank. That missile in the middle of Old Town may disappear soon.

No comments: