Monday, July 23, 2007

Veterans Sue

A group of Veterans from the Iraq War have sued the Veterans Administration for delays in health care, denying disabilities and lack of mental health treatment. This story may not have gotten much attention today because CNN was so interested in hyping its use of YouTube for the Presidential debates, but this should be on everyone's radar and soon.

I am a Veteran. I have never availed myself of the services of the Veterans Administration because I felt others probably needed it worse than me. I am fortunate to have health insurance, something many Veterans don't have. I do have nagging problems from my service years, especially in my continuing loss of hearing from my exposure to jet turbines. The ear protectors in the 60's consisted of little rubber plugs that did little to stop nerve damage. I am now walking around with $4000 hearing aids. I had thought I would go to the Veterans Hospital and sign up for some, but I just felt others probably needed that face time a lot more than me. The Veteran's Hospital here seems to be a very good one from experiences I have witnessed with some of my Veteran relatives. They got excellent treatement and surgeries. I was impressed with the legions of volunteers at the facility. There were a lot of Vets there waiting in the lobbies, but they seemed to be doing okay. I have heard this is one of the best facilities but the crowding is evident.

Since bush and cheney didn't go do a tour in Iraq maybe they should be required to get their treatment at the maligned Walter Reed Veterans facility in Washington, DC. Maybe that would make them realize these men and women who were sent in harms way for an immoral war would get better treatement for their mental and physical injuries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have veterans in my family who use the VA in Albuq. and they are happy with the service...