Friday, May 27, 2011

Misc.

The US Congress has passed an extension of invasion of privacy upon all Americans when they rebooted the so called "Patriot Act" of the bush administration.  Thankfully, most of our delegation voted against it, except for that great defender of liberty Congressman Steve Pearce.  Bingaman, Udall, Heinrich and Lujan voted the right way.

I had to chuckle at the story in the Journal this morning about the study to figure out why people get sick in the State Capitol Building every session of the legislature.  As any cruise ship Captain, crew member or passenger can tell you it is from handshaking and contaminated surfaces.  Most experienced cruisers wont shake hands with you.  They bump elbows.  There are antiseptic dispensers everywhere on ship and you are encouraged to use them often.  In fact, on Holland America ships a crew member often makes you treat your hands before going into the dining areas.  Also, never run your hands along the banisters.

And then you get on airplanes to leave the cruise and they are nothing but little virus filled aluminum tubes that were last cleaned in the 80's sometime.  So of course that is where I picked up my third cold of the year.  Even after wiping down the seats, trays and armrests with disinfectant towels from Bobbi's magic travel purse.  I had gone three years without a cold and now have made up for it this year.  The cruise was worth it.  If you want to see my movie of the cruise go here.

3 comments:

Abq Dude said...

I agree on the intrusive Patriot Act, and applaud those NM reps who voted against it. And Obama, well, I'm not surprised he signed the extension. BTW, maybe our state legislators get sick from drinking and/or smoking too much.

Donald F. Schiff said...

My health tips for traveling in those contaminated aluminum tubes, a.k.a. airplanes: always close the air nozzles over your head. Those things are terrifically efficient at distributing your sick neighbors' bacteria and viruses tube-wide. Also, I always travel with plenty of Emergen-C (or Airborne), which include vitamins and minerals to reduce stress and improve disease resistance. Finally, I like to use a sweater or other piece of clothing as a lumbar support, now that the airlines have stopped supplying pillows and blankets to steerage (coach) passengers.

Lynn said...

I'm sorry about your third cold. :( Summer colds are the worst, but at least you picked it up doing something fun. Congress being like one big cruise ship as far as disease transfer made me laugh. However, I suspect cruises are more fun...