Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pilgrims at Santiago de Compastello


Pilgrims celebrate the end of their hundreds of  miles of trekking to get to Santiago de Compastella.   We saw many pilgrims on the road traveling to this Medieval Cathedral.  

It is relatively a depressing place compared with the Gothic style we have been seeing.

St. James is buried here and many pilgrims come to see his resting place under the Altar which looks pretty much laden with gold.
The ceilings and vaults are pretty simple.  It is a medium sized cathedral with an ornate exterior.
The countryside around this part of Galicia in Spain is stunning.



Thursday is a day at sea before coming into Cherbourg France for a tour of the D-Day Beaches.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You talk about depressing as if it's a bad thing.

But I kind of like those Gothic cathedrals, myself. I might be prejudiced. There were some well known ones along the Middle Rhine, around where I was stationed in West Germany. Mainz, Worms and Speyer. I was in Mainz.

But that place, Compastella, is a thousand years old!

(I looked that one up, too.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Santiago_de_Compostela

By the way, in both those articles, for their main interior shots, it almost looks like someone is stealing your pictures and putting them on Wikipedia.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Terminology malfunction. I meant to say Romanesque. Gothic came later.

I think my apartment complex is in the Romanesque style.

Actually, the technology existed to have big stained glass windows, they just forgot.