Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dynasties

I don’t watch a lot of network television shows, but one I do like is the quirky “Boston Legal.”

Last night on the TV show one of the characters was musing about the upcoming presidential campaign and opined that for the last 20 years two families, the bushes and the Clintons had run the country. Now one of the two families, the Clintons, is trying to extend that to 24 years by running Hillary. Sometimes, it is easy to overlook the obvious which in this case is the emergence of ruling families in this democracy. It does make me uncomfortable. Maybe that is why I like Bill Richardson so much. He got where he is with out having to rely on a family dynasty. I like Obama too, but I really don’t get a clear picture of his positions. I know where Bill stands. It was a timely show in that Bobbi and I will soon be in Italy and on a cruise of the Greek Islands. We will see the greatness of the Italian and Greek dynasties on this trip.

My friend Rodger Beimer noted the other day the offspring of Bruce King, and his brothers Don and Sam are now all elected officials in the State of New Mexico. Bruce King’s son Gary is Attorney General, Don’s daughter Rhonda is a Legislator, and Sam’s son, one time strong Democrat David King, is now a Republican Public Regulatory Commissioner. I guess the King family genetic code is strong for politics too.

No comments: