Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Water Issues & Debates


There isn't a day that goes by when the issue of water supplies, water rights or water sheds doesn't come up at least half a dozen times. Today the Albuquerque Journal had a story about another law suit brought against the State Engineer's Office fighting new regualtions that would affect domestic water wells. This will be fought over for a long time before it is finally decided.

I have described our reclamation of our small farm in Pena Blanca. We invested money that will probably cut in half the amount of water that is used for irrigation there. What happens to the saved water? We have pre 1907 water rights and if we save water do we lose that water right?I would like to see irrigators who conserve be able to sell their saved water rights to the cities or entitities that need them. Perhaps I am all wet, but it seems that if the state were to start helping these farmers with laser leveling and new irrigation systems then some of the pressure might be relieved. I am sure I am not the first one to think about this and I might be over simplifying it, but it might work!

Finally, since Bill Richardson has wisely refused to debate with John Dendahl I hereby ask the TV stations to provide time for TV debates between Pat Lyons and me. After all, this position of State Land Commissioner is the most powerful constitutional office in the state. Folks should hear from us.

No comments: