Thursday, April 12, 2007

Imus and Vonnegut

I had coffee with a friend this morning who said that Imus had been caught in the perfect storm. bush hates Imus because Imus calls him a war criminal, the Clintons hated Imus because of his disrespect for them. So, everyone who has power hates Imus I guess. Yes, he said a really stupid thing as he has often done, but shouldn't it be up to the listening public to vote on whether he should be taken off the air? They can easily do that by simply switching off. I did that several years ago for the most part, although I do like what he says about bush.

I never to cease to be amazed by how so many groups and individuals claim 'victim' status when this kind of thing happens. Many try to be a victim and are egged on by professional victim advisers. Sad.

I am sure glad no one ever silenced Kurt Vonnegut. He died yesterday. I actually got to meet him when I was in New York at Columbia University in 1970. His books were decidedly unique and they had a large part in my anti war views. I am thinking I should read them again. My favorite book was "The Sirens of Titan." It may be the funniest book I have ever read. He creates in that book the religion that I often believe most in. He called it "The Church of the God of the Utterly Indifferent." His "Slaughter House 5" is a classic and should be read by every highschool student.

If you haven't read his books they are still speak to the human condition. For a good Obit on Vonnegut, read this.

No comments: