Monday, April 16, 2007

Mom


Not long ago I got a note from someone who was researching my mother's family tree. Her maiden name was Sapp and she was born in St. Joseph's, Missouri. Today he sent this picture via email of my mom. He didn't know if it was her. It was. We figure mom couldn't have been more than 19 when this photo was taken. She was born in 1918.

My mom, Dixie, met my dad Fermin in Washington, DC in the early 1940's. My dad was one of many young men who Senator Dennis Chavez would bring to Washington from Northern New Mexico to further their educations. My dad's room mate in Washington was another young guy from Pena Blanca named Joseph Montoya, who later became and Lt. Governor, Congressman and Senator. My dad told me he was always upset with Joe because he would wear my dad's good shoes without permission. My dad went to the nation's capital in 1936 or so and worked and went to accounting school. He had his own bookkeeping service for his entire career after working with the IRS.

My dad and mom returned to New Mexico in 1943 after the birth of my sister Carlota. It must have been a shock for mom to end up in New Mexico and its more basic lifestyle. She worked for Sandia Labs and the Atomic Energy Commission for many years before transferring to the Department of Energy. She eventually became the Chief of Payroll services for DOE when she moved back to DC in the 1970's after she and dad divorced.

Mom eventually returned to Albuquerque after having lived in Florida after her retirement. She died in 1993. I have been thinking a lot of her lately and it was interesting this photo came along when it did. I wish I had been there for her a little more in my younger years. Many of us just don't think about that when we march out on our own to careers and lives in other places. Our kids, Justin and Noelle, call a couple of times a week to check up on us. It means a lot.

4 comments:

NB said...

What a lovely photograph. Your mother was quite poised and beautiful. Her dress is exquisite and her nails are perfectly done. Simply... lovely.

I love old photographs like this... the stamp in the lower right-hand corner is really cool.

I have the opportunity to see and speak with my mom daily and I treasure our relationship.

It's great that you hear from your kids... and continue to share your lives with each other.

May it always be so... :)

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I found your blog via Duke City Fix and read it now and then. Apparenlty I bought the house you grew up in on Quincy St in October 2005.

I met your brother briefky when I was raking leaves last fall.

I'm slowly renovationg the place.


I'm also a Jim

Unknown said...

This is a very cool blog entry. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim... always fun to read your stuff.. I like 5the wacky NM stuff... see you soon...best amy w.