Thursday, June 07, 2007

Paris Hilton and Chuck E. Cheese

Initially, when I read the first few paragraphs of the Albuquerque Journal's front page story on Chuck E. Cheese Pizza Parlors I thought it was a strange puff piece for a place that serves awful pizza. We used to take our kids there years ago and the place was really nice for birthday parties and after game get togethers. After reading the whole story after a few interruptions I decided it was a story worthy of front page attention. Apparently the store, who admits its "sweet spot" is kids 3-8 years old will start putting in more war and gun related video games. How can this be good?

I have become convinced that constant exposure to violence on TV and on video games does sort of deaden kid's view towards real violence. When I used to work in TV some 35 years ago I thought that wasn't true, but now I do.

The top news on a lot of news sites today is the fact that Paris Hilton got out of jail and will now serve her sentence under house arrest. Even I clicked on this story to see what it was about. I couldn't help myself, I wanted to know! At the same time I looked for news on the front page website of the Journal and New York Times for news of the latest violence in Iraq. I know there was some but I couldn't find it. Maybe we all have become deadened to that violence too.

1 comment:

NB said...

Video games is a big one. Our boys have Gameboy systems and we try to limit how much and what they play. I can watch them go from quiet, sorta-normal boys to anxiety-ridden, aggressive behavior just from pushing those little buttons.

I have to admit that I clicked on the Paris Hilton story, too. Tsk... eating cupcakes in her mansion... medical condition... pfffttt!
I can't believe they let her out. What does this say to everyone else who can't afford to pay their way out of consequence?
Maybe they should make a video game out of it?
lol