Monday, June 18, 2007

Time Travel-Travel Time

We had a nice laid back 30th Anniversary celebration this weekend. A nice dinner Friday evening and then we watched the U.S. Open on TV. That golf course sucks, really big time. When the world's best golfers cant do better than 5 over par, then there is something wrong with the course. I am glad the working class guy from Argentina, Angel Cabrera, won. I liked his ability to walk up to the ball and just whack it with out a lot of fretting. He knew what he wanted to do and just stuck to his tempo.

I am finally about finished with the Lincoln book "Team of Rivals" that I started some time ago. I think the book should be required reading for anyone thinking about running for office. I sure as hell wished I had been able to read it before I entered the political arena. I could have learned a lot and would have been a lot better at it.

I decided that if I had a chance to travel backward in time that I would want to hover over Lincoln while he was in the White House. It must have been fascinating to have been a witness to his intellect and vision. I wish HBO would do a high quality dramatic miniseries on him that would follow this book so that more people could see the kind of leader this country once had. Will we ever have one like that again?

Speaking of travel. My son Justin will come home for a few days at the end of the week. He needs to chill out before starting his MPA program and Syracuse University in a couple of weeks. We fretted for a while about the cost of airline tickets this summer as everything is booked solid. Somehow he managed to find a good fare. Now we can see him for a few days, otherwise we wouldn't see him until his wedding in October. Anyway, when Justin sent his itinerary this morning he also sent a copy of the carbon credits he purchased for his share of the carbon emissions the aircraft would generate on his trip. Apparently Expedia.com now lets you do that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary Jim and Bobbi!! Here's to 30 more years!!