Friday, October 07, 2005

Right and Left on the Golf Course


I am a member of the Albuquerque Country Club. I have been a member since about 1991, off and on depending on circumstances. I just love to play golf and it is the only athletic endeavor I have ever been marginally good at. The Club's golf course is beautiful and you can get a round it in about three and a half hours. They have also just completed(mostly) an extensive renovation of the facility and it is really beautiful.

I have made many friends at the Club over the years. I also have some old high school friends who are members so it is always fun to go late afternoons for a quick 18 holes and a beer afterwards.

I must say I am beginning to notice a shift in my some of my right wing golf buddies attitude on bush. They are no longer quick to defend him and some have even voiced their opposition to him. This has occurred in just the last two months. I never thought I would see this. I think Iraq, the deficit and Katrina have formed a toxic soup for bush and he is currently swimming in it.

Maybe this is just a glimpse of some good trend. I certainly hope so. The whole interesting thing here is that even while some of my golf buddies and me were galaxies apart on our political beliefs we could still have fun on the golf course. We can always good naturedly insult each other on politics or blown putts. We could always keep the lines of communications open.

And finally, you must read this. It is long and important. I say that as a former journalist. Someone once said,

"Television was once a vast wasteland, but now it is only half vast."

1 comment:

Jim Baca said...

TV originally had great promise to educate and enlighten. Look at the work of Edward R. Murrow and Fred Friendly at CBS news. Fred Friendly was my faculty member at Columbia University's special Broadcast Journalism Program which I attended in 1970. He was an impressive guy.