Thursday, September 13, 2007

Carry Out

I got an amazing copy of a news story in the Gallup Independent from the Environment Department on my state email yesterday. I am surprised that I haven't seen it in picked up by other media yet. The release is about eco burials. Should we call it 'Green Death Solutions?'

An eco burial is one where your body is not embalmed with toxic chemicals or buried in a non biodegradable container. No more pollution of ground water with harmful toxins or metals. Apparently, you are now just buried in a giant cloth baggie. The theory is that you will just dissolve away sooner or later. Most likely later in our arid environment. Maybe there are other solutions too as pictured here.

Actually, cremation still makes sense to me, although it does release carbon into the air and uses a lot of energy. I just want my ashes scattered in Pena Blanca, New Mexico.

Or as a final solution where we can continue to be productive after death, we could do the whole "Solyent Green" thing.

5 comments:

Prabhu Singh said...

My brother says he wants to be composted when he dies. Everybody makes fun of him because he is passionate about composting and built his own composting toilet.
He figures it's the most environmental friendly way, and also efficient. He figures it would just be a few months before he completely decomposed. I'm not as progressive I guess. I figure I'll be cremated, definitely not buried.
It's too bad that our culture promotes consumerism and destruction even at the time of death. How can they write RIP ontop of a tombstone consuming space on the earth, consuming resources for a coffin, and destroying the habitat with a body stuffed with chemicals?

Ok, then said...

Take a look at this Swedish method. It's the cleanest, most energy-efficient way to go, and your remains may even benefit the environment.

www.promessa.se/index_en.asp

Anonymous said...

I want to be cremated, with some of my ashes used to make a nice ceramic mug so I can be filled with beer and everyone can have one more drink with Rod. The rest of my ashes can be used to fertilize a golf course somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Rodney,

It will take just a smidgen of your ashes to make a glaze for your mug so your heirs will have lots left over to scatter on the golf course! :-)

I always wanted to be cremated but that baggie idea sounds interesting to me.

Mudwoman

Anonymous said...

Those interested in finding out more information about the growing natural burial movement will find the Centre for Natural Burial very informative - http://naturalburial.coop.

This online resource features a complete listing of both existing and proposed natural burial grounds in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom as well as a comprehensive media archive of newspaper and magazine articles written on the subject dating back to 1995.

The free Centre for Natural Burial newsletter features a wide range of topics including:
•Announcements of new and proposed natural burial sites
•Book reviews, stories and feature articles
•Interviews with those working behind the scenes working to develop natural burial
•Notification of various opportunities to get involved
•Breaking news articles and discussions relating to natural burial