Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Ex Mayor on Mayor's Race

Okay....I convinced myself when I started this Blog several weeks ago that I would try and not comment on political races. That is going the way of my many diets I am afraid. I just can't resist looking briefly at Albuquerque's Mayoral contest.

I am astonished that none of the candidates so far, Mayor Chavez, Brad Winter, David Steele, Eric Griego, or Judy Espinosa have figured out the "vision thing." With the election just over 90 days away I can not honestly tell you what any of these folks have in the way of BIG IDEAS for Albuquerque. Maybe they are saving them for the last ten days of the campaign when our voters will start getting more serious about this race. I believe that without some serious visionary thinking and debate on the candidate's part that we will simply have the worst turnout in years. If the candidates have to resort to mudslinging to get people's attention then the City will be in another four year funk like the one where Rio Rancho just stole an arena from Albuquerque because of small thinking and personal politics.

Okay, here is an idea for the "vision thing", let's make Albuquerque the most seriously connected broadband city in the Western United States by setting forth a plan to provide fiber optic service to all residences and businesses within the next 10 years! See, that is not so hard.

No comments: