Monday, July 18, 2005

Million Dollar Mayor's Race?

It is almost unfathomable to me that we are closing in on a one million dollar Mayor's race in Albuquerque. Marty Chavez may actually bring in that much. That is almost 2 1/2 times what the race that I lost four years ago cost. I think when I was elected in 1997 we only spent about 150 thousand. The amount of money for this years race is certainly going to be record breaking. Soon this will be a rich man's game in Albuquerque, or the candidate's fundraising must sell the well being of the city to raise those stakes. The city voters should immediately insist that the limit on contributions from any one individual or corporate entity be capped at one thousand dollars. Right now, I believe that amount is over four thousand. Imagine that kind of money being raised in the Duke City, while over in Rio Rancho Mayor Owen probably wont spend 5% of that amount. And yet he managed to steal away a new arena from our town.

I was disappointed that the Newspapers have not yet listed those who contributed a thousand or more in print. I believe the Journal put it on their website, but I could not find it easily as I posted this.

No comments: