Monday, July 11, 2005

Fire Fly

About 8PM last night we ran down to the mall to do a 50 minute walk. The sun was down but the humidity was up. With dwindling light the fire flies came out in abundance. The first time I had ever seen them was in Washington when we used to come here to visit my mothers parents in the 1950's. My dad met my mom when he worked in DC in the 30's and 40's.

There were a lot of people here out last evening at the Lincoln memorial. I just learned yesterday that Lincoln was outvoted as the most important president by the American public. The Discovery(?) Channel poll showed Reagan winning that. We don't have a chance do we?

Many people were visiting the war memorials last night. The Vietnam memorials, the Korean memorial, the ugly and new WWII memorial were all mobbed. Bobbi thought the WWII memorial looks like architecture you would see at Nuremberg prior to the invasion of Poland. It really is that bad. The others all have real emotional qualities. WWII's tribute has none.

I thought it would be nice if we, as a nation, could build a Peace Memorial on the Mall to celebrate those brief periods of time when we were not at war. I am not aware of any major Peace Memorials in our nation's Capitol, although I am not sure about that.

Bobbi left for a business trip to San Diego this a.m. I will spend the day making the rounds in DC at the organizations where I serve on boards, The Wilderness Society and the Wyss Foundation. I wil have lunch with my son Justin and attend a dinner this evening put on by the Natural Resources Defense Council prior to our all day meeting tomorrow. Then, back tomorrow night late.

No comments: