Friday, July 08, 2005

The Guv!


I had to go to Santa Fe this morning and stopped by the Governor's office. My twin brother Tom was there too. He is the State Aviation Director. Since I am pretty much carrying my camera everywhere these days I had a staffer shoot a quick picture.

I really do like Bill Richardson. I first met him in 1978 when he came to New Mexico to run the
State Democratic Party at the request of Governor Apodaca. Bruce King had won the Primary election for Governor for the Dems that year and had not been consulted on Bill's hiring. To make a long story short Bill didn't stay long in that position, but as you can see he did stick around in New Mexico and has had a wonderful career. Bill and Bruce actually got along quite well after that first bump in the road.

What I like most about the Governor is that he is not afraid to think big. He is the exact opposite of so many politicians in this state who hold back their ideas because they think they might not be supported by EVERYONE. Bill understands that leadership doesn't always mean everyone gets on the bus with him.

My next few blogs will be from the road. I must travel to Washington, DC for a meeting set up by the National Resources Defense Council on the subject of recruiting more Latinos into the environmental movement. It should be interesting.

No comments: