Monday, February 26, 2007

Old Santo Domingo Trading Post

I needed to run over to Pena Blanca this morning to take a few photos. On the way there I took a short diversion of 1.5 miles over to the site of the old Santo Domingo Trading Post. It was a few miles west from the main pre I-25 highway between Albuquerque to Santa Fe. In order to reach Pena Blanca you would drive right by this great old place. I remember when we would go to Pena Blanca as children for stays in the summer we would stop there for NEHI orange sodas.

The goods in the Trading Post were early authentic jewelry from Santo Domingo artisans. I remember my mother Dixie acquired a beautiful Squash Blossom there. (My sister Carlota will correct me on that if I am wrong .)

This little place burned down many years ago and I still miss it. The little town there will soon face a renaissance as the Rail Runner Commuter train will pass by within a hundred feet of it. It is rumored there will be a stop there to serve the residents of Santo Domingo, Pena Blanca, Sile, Cochiti and Cochiti City. When that happens Pena Blanca and Sile will be transformed into prosperous rural bedroom communities that will be 30 minutes by rail from both Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Land values in Pena Blanca and Sile are soaring, especially with the water rights attached.

No comments: