Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Fasting

This will be a difficult day and a half as I must fast until tomorrow noon. Yes, I need to go in and get a roto rooter job, in other words a colonoscopy. I know, you don't need to know this, but I think the message here is that if there is a history of colon cancer in your family then you should get this done every five years or so. My dad's side of the family is very susceptible to this cancer and so we all go in on a regular basis for an inspection. The first time I had it done was when I served as Mayor of Albuquerque. The procedure wasn't so bad because I was used to experiencing similar things at the hands of some of my right wing city council members.

After a colonoscopy discovered cancer my dad went through colon cancer surgery in 1991 and lived another fourteen years with no ill effects. Many other members of his family have done as well. So the message is, don't be squeamish about this. Actually, the drugs they give you are pretty good and it is over and you are out of there in 90 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. My best friend died a couple of years ago, of advanced colon cancer. By the time she had the first pangs of pain it was far too late. She was dead three months after she first felt a stitch in her side.

As they say, if it encourages anyone...