Thursday, September 22, 2005

Old Time Religion?

I was born and raised a Catholic. My dad's family came from old New Mexico traditions of being strongly connected to the Church. My sister, brother and me attended Our Lady of Fatima Heights Catholic School in Albuquerque and St. Pius X High School. They were pretty good schools from my standpoint even when doling out the daily dose of 'Catholic guilt'. I stayed active in the Church through my first couple of years of University and I hung out at the Newman Center at UNM. But I fell away from my religious beliefs beginning in my Junior year at school because of the attitude of the Church on family planning.

Now, I pick up the paper and observe the Holy See on a pogrom against prospective gay priests. I have not seen much scandal involving gay priests but I have seen much scandal involving pedophile priests. They are not the same thing no matter what gay bashers tell you. And so, I am confused about the priorities of the Church of which I once considered myself to be a devout member. Let's see, no women priests, no gay priests, no independant minded priests allowed. Soon, there will be no Catholic Church.


This is a picture of a dead gay New York Fire Department catholic Chaplain Father Mychal Judge who gave his life helping others on 9/11. I wonder what the Pope would say to his flock and family right now.

No comments: