Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Newspapers


I get worried when I read stories like this one in the New York Times about the New York Times and newspapers in general. I get most of my information on current events from newspapers. I have three of them delivered every day to my house. The Albuquerque Journal, The New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal are my staples through out the day. I also do quite a bit of internet reading at night.

As real newspapers continually cut their editorial staffs we all will suffer. One thing I like about the existence of newspapers is that you almost always can get in touch with them about corrections or to provide comments. That is often problematical with internet journalism.

It may be that we will see most newspapers close down in the next twenty years to be replaced with some sort of broadband editions that are delivered daily to your home or laptop computers. I will miss the ink and newsprint, but mostly I will miss the diverse points of view that I get with my coffee in the mornings.

Please read Friedman in the New York Times today. It makes a lot of sense especially since I have been saying the same thing.

No comments: