Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Friends Meeting House


My son Justin and I dropped by the Friends Meeting House tonight to watch the presentation of the Union of Concerned Scientists presentation on the proposed development of a nuclear bunker buster bomb. It really was very informative and if you look at my blog entry from this morning you can learn a little more. There were about 85 people at the meeting. I knew many of them from my past campaigns and work with environmental groups. This crowd is educated and dedicated about current events and liberal ideals.

I could not help but notice that out of the crowd there were not five attendees under the age of thirty. Look at the picture closely and you will see mainly a crowd made up of 45 plus activists. This is disturbing. Where will the next generation of people like this come from. As I recall, activism usually starts in colleges and universities. There wasn't much evidence of that tonight although this group of folks are experienced in moving their agendas forward. However, we aren't going to be around to do this forever and it is encouraging to know that many folks see what is happening and many foundations and philantrophists are aiming to do something about it.

And Finally



And then ponder this photo.

No comments: