Saturday, August 06, 2005

FW?


Last night Jose and his buddy, the carpet guys packed up and left. The carpet guys did a great job by the way and I would recommend them to everyone. Not one thing got broken the two days they were here and they were really efficient. They work for High Desert Flooring.

I got a called by a friend to come over for wine and cheeze with some of our mutual friends. So we all met over at my friends home on Morningside North East. When I arrived I noticed a strange looking bumper sticker on my host's car. It was just a little square piece of vinyl with the letters FW on it. I wondered what it meant and the only thing I could think of was possibly an expletive involving our President. Nah, I thought. My friend never seemed too overwrought about bush so I asked what it meant. Yep, I was right. There was one sticker left. HMMM!

The thing about this that gets my attention is that a lot of people we might have thought were a little apathetic about what is happening in this country might not be so nuetral after all. Maybe, many folks were just staying quiet or they have regained their critical thinking skills after paying $3 per gallon of gas. The latest polls are beginning to indicate this big time. Now, we just need to get some real political energy behind these pent up feelings in preparation for the mid term Congressional elections.

Thnking of Tom Delay's leadership we can understand why Will Rodgers once said, "This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets ahold of a hammer."

I got a note from my sister Carlota. She said she was not going to use the word progressive any more. People have been using that word to describe their political views because they are embarassed to call themselves liberals. She says that buys into the messaging framework of the conservatives. I agree with her. Here is Websters definition of the word.

Liberal

(Lib"er*al), n. One who favors greater freedom in political or religious matters; an opponent of the established systems; a reformer;

No comments: