Friday, August 26, 2005

Master Lobbyist, Golfer and Friend

I got a quick round of golf in with my long time friend Tom Horan. This is a picture I took of Tom and his wife, Mary Ann Campbell-Horan, at their home in the north valley near the Albuquerque Country Club where we are members. As you can see from the sign in their front window, they still show their allegiance proudly.

Tom and I entered the first grade together at Our Lady of Fatima Heights Catholic School in 1951. We went to school together all the way through high school. Tom's father was Frank Horan, the legendary Albuquerque City Attorney for many years. His dad was one of the funniest men who ever lived. He was also very competent and he got Tom interested in politics.

Before that however, Tom and my twin brother Tom flew helicopters in Viet Nam. My brother, who is now New Mexico's State Aviation Director, gave Tom his first helicopter ride when Horan was a Lieutenant in the Infantry. That convinced him to take to the air and he flew for many years with the Army and the New Mexico National Guard. A few years ago Tom's flying skills were validated when his Beechcraft bonanza blew an engine outside of Roswell one night. He made a safe emergency wheels up landing in the desert and he and his passenger walked away. That plane is now flying again with Tom as the pilot.

Tom served in the Legislature for several terms. I am well aware of this because back in 1975 or so he told me he was not going to run again so I decided to move into that district and take a shot at the seat. So I moved to a new apartment there and then he let me know he had decided to run for one more term. I was a little pissed off at that for a while, but looking back on it I think it was the best thing to happen to me career wise. Very few legislators ever rise above that level. A few years later I ran for state wide office and was elected.

Tom is now one of the most respected and knowledgeable lobbyists in Santa Fe. He has a large stable of clients, including the City of Albuquerque. He is a good guy to know up in the round house. If you ever need his services give him a call because there is no one better at pushing legislation through that meat grinder in Santa Fe.

No comments: