Thursday, July 21, 2005

Alternative News


This is Chris Johnson. Most people don't know who he is but many folks spend time with his Alibi Newspaper every week. Chris is the Publisher of that 'alertnative weekly.' I got to know Chris when I ran for Mayor in 1997. After I got elected we tried to have lunch or coffee at least once every couple of weeks. It was refreshing that a publisher like him would spend time with an elected official for one on one conversations on a regular basis. That is rare here in Albuquerque.

In any city the Newspaper Publisher and the Mayor should always communicate with each other on a regular basis. They are often the two most influential people in any community. Sometimes, both will stay in their lofty offices instead of having honest heart to heart talks about their readers and constituents expectations and needs.

I read the Alibi every week. Under the leadership of Chris and Editor Tim McGivern they have really good coverage on city issues and very entertaining local columnists. I even enjoyed reading bad boy Greg Payne's rantings when he was there. Jerry Ortiz y Pino writes extremely thoughtful pieces too. I also like Jim Scarentino who isn't afraid to tell it like it is. You should check them out every week. Chris got married last fall to Pharmacist Angela Torres of Penasco, New Mexico. He said they are living in the East Mountains with ten chickens, an African goose and a black cat. We should all be happy that Albuquerque has a quality weekly newspaper.


This is my longtime friend Bob White. I bumped into him at lunch today. Bob was my City Attorney when I was Mayor. He has also served Marty Chavez for his two terms. Bob has a difficult job in that he must act as Attorney for both the Mayor and the Council. In Bob's case the system works because everyone likes him, but after he is gone I foresee there could be problems with this arrangement. Bob served a term as a City councilor back in the early 80's. He was a great Councilman who always tried to get others working together. Bob spends some of his spare time as a Shakesperean actor. I haven't ever seen him act, but I'll bet he is pretty good at it.

No comments: