Friday, July 15, 2005

Another moderate Republican

I bumped into Martha Buddecke at lunch today at Yanni's in Albuquerque. She is another moderate Republican that I worked with back in the 70's. When I was employed by Mayor Harry Kinney, Martha worked in the same office as I did at City Hall. She later went on to work for Senator Pete Domenici when he was still mainstream. Martha seems pretty happy with her retirement status, although she was having lunch with a local PR firm President. I asked her, "Martha, what do you really think about this President.?" She said in a quiet voice, "I support him." But, that is about all she said. On this point, there is a really good Paul Krugman column in the New York times today. Read it here. Martha has always had a great sense of humor and as you can see, a great smile.

This is a picture of something that has become routine in our lives. This is Bobbi arriving at the Airport from an official Forest Service meeting in San Diego. She will be here until Sunday morning when she returns to her job in Washington, DC. This commuting marriage has been going on for about 10 months now. Here has how it has worked in the last few weeks. Bobbi came home from June 16-19th, she returned for a week over the 4th of July when we all gathered to bury my dad's ashes, she returned to DC on the 7th, I travelled to DC for a meeting on the 10th, while I was still there she left for San Diego on the 12th, I came home the evening of the 13th, and she arrives today for a short stay until Sunday morning. We probably won't see each other again until July 27th when we meet in Boston and then travel to Martha's Vineyard for a meeting of the Wyss Foundation, which is a board that I serve on. I will return to Albuquerque on the 30th and Bobbi will return to DC. After that, we haven't even thought of a schedule, except we will travel to Bangkok, Thailand in November for 10 days vacation to tour the country and visit our daughter Noelle who will be attending school there. By the way, we have a great system for airport pickups. We check on Flytecomm.com to see where exactly the airplane is in flight and it's time of arrival. As soon as the plane lands we take off for the airport. If baggage is checked the traveller calls the ride as soon as the bags are recieved and then the rider proceeds to the pick up area. Most airports now have areas where the rides can wait free of charge until the call comes for the pickup. I don't think Albuquerque has one yet, but it should. I wait at the airplane observation area and that works pretty well, or I use the Wyndham hotel parking lot.

No comments: