Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Encounter

I took Bobbi's Prius to be serviced this morning and a man came up to me and asked if I was Mayor Kinney!  Hilarious!  No, I said, but I had worked for him back in the 70's and then became Mayor myself in 1997.

He said he was a retired UNM professor with 37 years of tenure.  He asked me if I had ever seen the city and state in such bad shape.  I said no I had not.  He said he was thinking of moving out of state because no one seemed to be doing anything.  This is not the first time I have had this conversation in the last couple of weeks.

I have been catching up on the PBS series 'The Roosevelt's' which I recorded in full.  Last night the segment was on the first election of FDR during the height of the depression.  At his inauguration he gave the famous speech that made American citizens feel that someone cared for them and that things would get better.  His fireside chats were instrumental in convincing people that they needed to have faith in government to help solve the disastrous economic policies that led the country to the brink of destruction.

Oh, that we could find someone in New Mexico that could inspire such confidence.  Instead we have two bit ad men using millions of dollars to tear government down so their bosses don't have to pay taxes and support our democracy.  We are in deep trouble and as someone else said today these kind of conversations become self fulfilling prophecies.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should take the lesson from APD and use our safe word, "china" so that Berry and Martinez will stop.

Anonymous said...

I suggest everyone write their elected officials and urge them to watch the PBS series about the Roosevelts. Be sure to start your letter with a paragraph or two explaining who the Roosevelts were.

New Mexican said...

This Governor's election disaster we are approaching we owe to Gary King. He will be remembered as the person who gave Susana Martinez a free pass to a second term. He disregarded the results of the preprimary because he actually thought he could pull it off. He can't and he will not. We will be stuck in this awful situation we find ourselves in for another 4 years. I have never voted for a Republican and will not do so now, but cannot bring myself to vote for Gary King. Susana owes Gary a big Republican hug for having done what he is doing.

Anonymous said...

What New Mexican said. Will. Not. Vote. For. King.

Anonymous said...

Will. Vote. For. King.

Even if he is doing the worst job of running for office I have ever seen. Why? Because I have heard more people say "I will not vote for Susana even though it looks like she will win." Think the school teachers will vote for her? What about the Union workers? Wouldn't it be something if everyone voted for King even if it's just to vote against Susana and not so much for King. Wishful thinking? Maybe. Maybe not.

Anonymous said...

Vote for King. People bash King's campaign but I suspect they are the same one's that have not given him any money. It is very easy to sit back and say that he should have self funded. King would be a way better Gov than what we have now. He is a bright man. It would be ludicrous for him or anyone else to spend down their own personal fortune when competing against the Koch brothers etc. The Democratic party of NM is its own worst enemy. Why would they have ever though that Linda Lopez or Howie Morales would have ever had a snowball's chance in hell either?