Friday, February 17, 2006

Orange Vests and Dedicated Dems

I went to a very well attended meeting of the Bernalillo County Democratic Party last night at the Law School at UNM. They invited the candidates from Attorney General on down the ballot to give short presentations on their platforms and what they felt was the single most important issue in their race. About half of the candidates showed up and there were actually many more people in the audience than in the candidate entourages. It was very encouraging to see the rank and file taking time out of their evening to listen.

The candidates were split between McKinley County and Bernalillo County functions last evening, but I made the call that talking about my platform for 10 minutes was worth more to the campaign that getting introduced in Gallup. I will be getting over there for a lot of one on one interaction in March.

It is obvious to me that the resentment to bush and his cronies is growing daily. People are angry and it is becoming apparent that one of the main criticisms is the sheer incompetence and fingerpointing of this administration. I was actually interuppted by applause several times as I promised to fight bush's land and environmental policies during his last two years in office if I am elected.

Everyone of the candidates had a few choice remarks about cheney's hunting accident. I had the notion that if cheney comes to New Mexico again that all Dems should go buy orange hunting vests and caps and stand on every street corner.

No comments: